Friday, 14 August 2009

Going to the Proms


I’m not much of a classical music type. For me, old R & B and any sing-along number will do. So it may come as a surprise that I was at the BBC Proms last Sunday - in the commentator’s box, no less! One of my homeboys is big at the Beeb and thought it would be nice and counter- intuitive to attend. My friend is an unreconstructed hip hopster, who showed up for the occasion in regular jeans. I figured that if he was prepared to listen to an orchestra for 2 hours, then it most certainly was do-able.

And it was. I cannot say that I’m now a fan, on the strength of one outing. But I noted some cool things at the Royal Albert Hall.

For starters, the women of the orchestra were all model thin, showing muscular arms. There was one black girl, who played some type of horn. She was majorly cute.

The highlight of the afternoon was two pianists – a lady twin – sitting across from each other at two grand pianos. Both played themselves into a different world. The entranced audience followed them along. I didn’t have time to worry that they would make a disastrous mistake. It all ended triumphantly. That twin had magic fingers.

There were also unanswered questions. From time to time during the programme, a random dude would perform a solo for a few seconds, with a simple, not-very-fancy instrument. When someone took centre stage with something that looked like a tambourine, for example, I began to believe that I belonged on stage too. Certainly, he didn’t need to go to Julliard’s to do that! Was there a designated person for uncomplicated instruments? And what separates contenders for these roles at an audition?

Among the audience, the fashion was quintessentially British – no frills, completely dressed down and practical. I felt conspicuous for having made an effort.

Outside the theatre, there was a blingy looking statue of Prince Albert with ornate gold frames. I wondered about the inspiration for associating PA with certain piercings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Albert_piercing. Always the historian, my friend noted that it was a sprawling monument of Queen Victoria’s self-abnegation, after the prince died as a young man.

Two hours went by very quickly. It was chock full of pleasant sounds and interesting thoughts. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

1 comment: