I can’t wait to see comedian Chris Rock’s new movie , entitled “Good Hair.” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/05/chris-rocks-good-hair-loo_n_251290.html.
The funny man is getting into a knotty issue. For research, he interviewed many, including US civil rights leader Rev. Al Sharpton, known for fiery rhetoric and a full bodied perm. If the film is successful, it will help us to better understand the politics of black hair.
Take US first lady Michelle Obama, for example. At the height of the euphoria about her fashion sense (Vogue cover appearance, Jackie O comparisons and all) I entertained some wicked thoughts: what if she grew an Afro for the remainder of her husband’s time in office? By Afro, I mean a big Pam Grier type ‘fro, un-spoilt by chemical moisturizing. Or, let’s say she sheds her obedient tresses for a natural, if more unpredictable look (more Wanda Sykes than Alek Wek)? Would the angry black woman portrayal that she seems to have elided from her husband’s presidential campaign, return?
Black men – where they still have hair – are not immune from coiffing politics. I doubt that there are many CEOs sporting corn rows, despite talked-about advances in metrosexuality.
In fairness, men generally have less styling options and images available to them. For black men, there are perhaps two streams – respectable vs. other. Dreadlocks, jherri curls, Mohawks, corn rows, big 'fros, and coloring are style choices that trigger automatic classifications, ranging from thug, fringe, to sissy. Hair can certainly make the man, or one’s perception of him.
Wednesday, 5 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment